Subject: Re: Only One NetBSD Partition Allowed?
To: <>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/21/2004 11:43:32
On Sun, Mar 21, 2004 at 06:20:52PM +0800, Dion van der Grijp wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just tried installing NetBSD 1.6.2 (i386) on a system that already has
> NetBSD 1.6.1 installed.  That is, I have 1.6.1 in one physical partition,
> and wanted to use another physical partition for 1.6.2.  However, sysinst
> did not like the fact that I had defined more than one partition to be
> of type "NetBSD", and suggested I re-edit the partition table.  When I
> ignored that and tried to continue, it decided to use one of the two, and
> it so happens that it chose the one with 1.6.1 - which I do not want to
> lose (before 1.6.2 is running successfully).  So I aborted the installation.
>
> How do I overcome this?  Can there be only one NetBSD partition?  I was
> able to install multiple FreeBSDs in different partitions without problems;
> the active partition was the one that was operative (which to me makes
> sense).

You can change the mbr partition type of the old partition to something
else (other than 169).  Then sysinst and the boot code will only find
the 1.6.2 partition.  You'll then have two NetBSD disklabels.

NetBSD current does support multiple installations, and you can use the
mbr bootselector to select which one to run.  In this case the two
installations will share the same NetBSD disklabel - the root filesystems
being different partitions.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk