Subject: Re: mount trouble
To: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/20/2004 16:06:16
--smOfPzt+Qjm5bNGJ

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 01:04:48AM -0500, James K. Lowden wrote:
  | On Thu, 18 Mar 2004, polzer02@stud.uni-passau.de wrote:
  | > > The fdisk is on i386 and *some* ports because it's the language
  | > > Microsoft operating systems understand and needs to be there to
  | > > interoperate with Microsoft.
  | > So the partitioning scheme I come from is not a common standard but a
  | > relict from MS-DOS days?
  |=20
  | Not so much a relic as a proprietary invention (by Compaq IIRC).  The
  | Master Boot Record you're familiar with is used by all Microsoft operat=
ing
  | systems, but is not an open standard. =20

Actually, the MBR format is used on many other platforms.
fdisk(8) is built on the following NetBSD platforms:
	amd64 arc bebox cobalt hpcarm hpcmips hpcsh i386
	macppc mvmeppc netwinder ofppc playstation2 prep

Most platforms just use the partition table at bytes 446-509
and the magic number 0xAA55 at bytes 510-511.

I've documented some of the format in src/sys/sys/bootblock.h=20

Cheers,
Luke.

--smOfPzt+Qjm5bNGJ

--smOfPzt+Qjm5bNGJ--