Subject: strange networking problems on 1.6.2 & -current (sparc/sparc64/macppc/i386)
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Timo_Sch=F6ler?= <eclipser23@web.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/19/2004 18:37:07
hi,

since i upgraded my systems to 1.6.2 i notice a very strange behaviour
on my systems; i tested it with 1.6.2 on sparc (SS20MP), sparc64 (U10),
macppc (G4 sawtooth), and i386 (IBM intellistation, on board fxp and
rtk tested). additionally, i see it on the intelli when i run -current
(yesterday's build).

my network is a typical /24 NAT on a 768kbps DSL line; i tested above
mentioned behaviour with three different routers (just to be sure it is
not a routing issue or sth. related to the router):

- draytek vigor 2200W (most recent stable firmware)

- cisco 837

- used my G4 Mac as router (i.e. BSD subsystem)

it happens regardless of what router i use.

now the phenomenon itself:

ftp to ftp.netbsd.org (for example; it occurs everytime i try to access
a system not in my /24) -> one to two minutes pause, then connect;
speed is okay.

ftp to any system in my LAN -> connection is built up fast, speed is
excellent ;)

quite interesting is: ICMP seems not to be affected since ping,
traceroute, LFT etc. operate as usual. UDP (DNS e.g.) is also okay.

i wonder whether i'm the only one who has this problem; a tcpdump
output si possible.

tia & regards,

timo