Subject: Re: streaming on DLT tape drives
To: Greg Troxel , emanuel stiebler <emu@ecubics.com>
From: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/19/2004 07:17:02
--- Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com> wrote:
> You might check out amanda, which does dumps to
> holding disk and then
> has a taper program which streams to the tape drive.
>  I don't use it
> with DLT, but it keeps a dds3 at ~1 MB/s streaming.

Yes, using an otherwise non active disk will greatly
help performance, if disk is the bottleneck.

Amanda is pretty cool. There is also one called
bacula, however this stuff seems like overkill for a
single host. Dump seems to be the most trouble free
system I've ever used. If possible, I'll use it every
time.

Andy