Subject: Re: streaming on DLT tape drives
To: emanuel stiebler <emu@ecubics.com>
From: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/18/2004 20:26:03
--- emanuel stiebler <emu@ecubics.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> how can I increase the buffer size in tar, so I can
> keep
> my DLT tape drive streaming ?
> Most of the time, when I backup directories with a
> lot of small files it behaves more like a tape drive
> test,
> then as a backup ;-)

I'm not sure I can answer your question directly, but
have you tried star? It should be in pkgsrc, or there
might be a package depending on what port you are
using.

I haven't used it because I use dump, but the man page
for it says specifically that it's a faster version of
tar.

DLT is a fairly fast tape drive in the grand scheme of
things though. Your bottleneck may be elsewhere.

Andy