Subject: RE: mount trouble
To: Conrad T. Pino <NetBSD-Current@Pino.com>
From: None <polzer02@stud.uni-passau.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/18/2004 16:24:47
Quoting "Conrad T. Pino" <NetBSD-Current@Pino.com>:

> The fdisk is on i386 and *some* ports because it's the language Microsoft
> operating systems understand and needs to be there to interoperate with
> Microsoft.
So the partitioning scheme I come from is not a common standard but a
relict from MS-DOS days?

> > For the practical part: why did you choose these offsets?
> > I don't get it...
>
> I'm suggesting you create disklabel entries that map your 2 FAT & 1 Linux
> fdisk partitions into NetBSD disklabel slices.
Where do you specify that it's a mapping? Why are these entries redundant
(unused <--> msdos)?

> An offset and size number pair describe a disk slice i.e. partition.
> The offsets and sizes are 1 for 1 values taken from the fdisk output.
Why does slice d start on 63 in fdisk and 0 in disklabel?

> It's useful information but only to a very small population
Why this? I'm sure there are a lot of people running the i386 port
and wanting to mount their FAT32 or ext2 partitions...

> and for a very limited time period.
Well, but that's the same with configuring your keyboard layout, isn't it?

Leslie