Subject: ntp problem
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Ben Collver <collver1@comcast.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/11/2004 09:44:23
Hello,

In the past I could use NetBSD's ntpd as a time server for the NTP client
built in to Windows XP.  Since then I've applied a service pack to Windows
XP, and I've upgraded the i386 box to NetBSD 1.6ZK.  Now I can't update the
Windows clock from the NetBSD ntpd.  Nothing has changed in /etc/ntp.conf.
There are no NTP messages in /var/log/messages.

The error message I get is:

An error occurred while Windows was synchronizing with gatekeeper.  The
time sample was rejected because: The peer's stratum is less than the
hosts's stratum.

My /etc/ntp.conf is:

pidfile         /var/run/ntpd.pid
driftfile       /var/db/ntp.drift
logconfig       -syncstatus
server  clocktower.orst.edu
server  ntp.uoregon.edu
server  bigben.cac.washington.edu
server  time.mit.edu

Does anyone else use NetBSD's ntpd with Windows XP's NTP client?

Thank you,

Ben
--
Never wear your best pants when you go to fight for freedom.