Subject: Re: To renice, or not to renice...
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@2004.snew.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/07/2004 13:12:26
Quoting David Howland (metalliqaz@hotmail.com):
> I use NetBSD at home as a NAT/Firewall/utility machine, running between my

No, it's not a firewall with all that stuff.  It's a gateway. You
likely have filters, but it's just a router/gateway. Firewalls don't
run all that other crap.  The use of firewall by many vendors has diluted
the meaning (say, by...MS?)

> It runs great, no problems, except every 5 minutes on the dot, there is a
> big spike of lag in game for all connected clients.  Obviously, this is
> related to perl starting from cron to run MRTG.  I would rather quake3 get

I too will offer that rrdtool is an evolution of MRTG.
It's FAR FAR faster, it scales MUCH better, it's good to use.

I use a shell script to run a couple snmpget(1)s, hold the
info in a variable until I have them all and then present them
to the (binary) rrdtool for storage.  Every half hour (less at
night) I update the graphs.  The *data* are updated every 5 minutes,
it's just that the graphs aren't looked at so often.

Because the data is stored in as binaries, it can be moved around
MUCH BETTER than the mrtg method which has to rotate everything.
Same folks, just version 2.x not mrtg's 1.x.