Subject: Re: To renice, or not to renice...
To: Timothy A. Musson <timothy.musson@zin-tech.com>
From: Michael W. Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/05/2004 17:48:22
On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 05:26:37PM -0500, Timothy A. Musson wrote:
> At 04:26 PM 3/5/04 , David Howland wrote:
> >I use NetBSD at home as a NAT/Firewall/utility machine, running between my
>
> >It runs great, no problems, except every 5 minutes on the dot, there is a
> >big spike of lag in game for all connected clients.  Obviously, this is
> >related to perl starting from cron to run MRTG.  I would rather quake3 get
>
> I haven't deployed MRTG, but it seems there should be a way to have the
> module or whatever is being run stay resident in memory. Or, you could turn
> off MRTG ;)

Wow, something I can speak quite authoritatively about!

I just switched MRTG from the five-minute cron job mode to daemon mode
with the RRDTool backend.  This was on a P533 that took 4.8 minutes to
complete a full run on my hundreds of MRTG targets.

System load dropped from a pretty continuous 16 down to 0.16.

It's not hard to do, just use the RunAsDaemon config option and
install rrdtool, then use any of the varies mrtg/rrdtool front ends.
I use 14all.cgi.

Pretty extensive documentation on how to do this at www.mrtg.org.

The CGIs might seem slow, but if you install mod_perl they fly and
take up even less resources.

==ml

--
Michael Lucas		mwlucas@FreeBSD.org, mwlucas@BlackHelicopters.org

Today's chance of throwing it all away to start a goat farm: 44.3%