Subject: Aqsis package.
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/03/2004 15:46:44
Is anyone using ...pkgsrc/graphics/aqsis from a relatively recent pkgsrc?

On AMD64, it doesn't build without numerous patches.  (I gave up for a bit
when I hit a patch of linker errors.)  Because the AMD64 uses 64-bit pointers
and 32-bit ints, there are numerous bugs that crop up.  Because it is
running -current (perforce), I also get a rash of warnings about
deprecated C++ constructs.

On i386, I was able to make it build by adding some libraries to the
Makefiles for the framebuffer_glut{,_z} directories.  But when I run
on a simple file, aqsis says that it ran into an error accessing the
"[ framebuffer ]" device.  It is trying to load a file called "ddmsock.ini",
which looks like a BillOS type of file.  One is included with the sources.
Failing to find it, it defaults to "framebuffer"...

It'd almost be better---certainly no flaw---if it rendered to a file
rather than a window.  But right now, it doesn't seem to send the
output anywhere.  On a 450MHz PIII, it takes about 5 seconds to render
a simple scene with an unlit sphere, then throws away the output as
near as I can tell.  The only way that I can induce it to write a file
is a core-dump...