Subject: Merging sendmail queues..
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Marc Tooley <netbsdMLpost@quake.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/01/2004 10:49:56
I haven't found much in the way of merging sendmail queues around, and
asking in the usual places didn't garner much, so I thought I'd ask
here. I know I should be moving to postfix or something else, but one
thing at a time! :)

I have a chroot environment that I'm using sendmail from within, and
then subsequently merge the chroot mqueue with the outer. Currently
what I'm doing is delivering solely within the chroot directly to the
queue, and then at regular intervals taking a snapshot of those
messages waiting delivery (for bytecount purposes) and actually running
the queue. I am using a 1h MinQueueAge for that part.

What I'd like to do, though, to improve the accuracy of the bytecount
run attempt *merge* the inner chroot mqueue with the outer so it can be
dealt with normally by the primary sendmail daemon, after the first
attempt done from within the chroot environment.

Is it possible to just "mv" the queue files into the system's primary
mail queue after the first-run attempt and not worry too much about
collision if I check the existence of the destination file beforehand?
Or, does sendmail have a "better" way of doing this that I'm just not
aware of?

Thanks for reading this far,
Marc