Subject: rtk0 watchdog timeout
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Preben Holm <preben@cyberserver.dk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/29/2004 22:53:15
I just downloadet the NetBSD 1.6.2 and tried installing it on my laptop
(Compaq Presario 701EA) with a realtek network card installed. It
doesn't work, that's sure - I can't ping any other network device and
after trying, the error appears on screen:

   rk0: watchdog timeout

It seemes to me that the NIC doesn't get it's "dog kicked", and the
message appears on the screen after a couple of seconds.

This means that I can't install anything besides the core netbsd wihtout
any networking.

I checked the mailing-list archive, and it seems that the same error
appeared a couple of years ago with the 1.5-release.

This is my first time running NetBSD, so how do I fix this? I haven't
ever tried compiling a BSD-kernel, so if that's necessary, please be
precise how to do!

Thanks for helping!

Preben Holm