Subject: Ensure coming back
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Bastiaan Welmers <haasje@welmers.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/23/2004 23:24:51
Hi,

I need to make a netbsd 1.6.1 box ready for an envirionment without people
arround. There's only an network connection with telnet, no keyboard or
whatever. So I need to prepare the box to ensure it will always stand by.
(except hardware errors of course). I'm about to make a hardware watchdog to
reset the box if the OS would hang for whatever reason.

One thing is that I already got problems with coming back after a temporary
power supply fail. Before mounting the partitions fsck found a partition
inconsistent and falls back into a single-user mode without telnet or
network connection. Something I absolutely don't want to happen.
Is there a way to ensure the system won't stop booting because of this kind
of problems?
I use the standard ffs format, I assume it's an FS without journalling.
Could it be better to choose a fs with journalling like ext3? I have good
experiences with ext3 using linux. ReiserFS is bad in my expirience, after
a system failure the reiserfs partition was found unusable.

Thanks for help,

Bastiaan Welmers