Subject: Re: printing using kde to a printer on a windows machine
To: Mark Kirby <mark@coris.org.uk>
From: Alexander Flott <aflott-netbsd@gmx.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/23/2004 18:54:17
> I have a 1.6.1 laptop with kde 3.2 installed and i want to set
> it up to print.
>
> This would be fine if the printer was connected to the laptop, instead
> it is connected to a machine running windows 2000. I've googled for
> hours and cant find any thing (well that i could understand atleast) for
> this situation. There is plenty of info on how to print from windows to a
> printer attached to  a unix box but next to nothing on the reverse.
>
> Do i need to use cups, samba or both
>
> Can someone point me in the write direction please?

Hi,
the SAMBA suite contains a litte tool called smbspool(8), that can send
printer
data to SMB-printer-shares.

I used CUPS for this purpose and found two potential pitfalls:

* Applications need to use CUPS's own lpr - Rename /usr/bin/lpr to lpr.bsd

* Proper printer output - This is a bit tricky! If your printer eats
Postscript or
  at least HP/PCL it should work. To create HP/PCL printer data, you can use

  ESP Ghostscript.

Instructions how to create the CUPS-SMB backend and how to set it up, can be
found
at: http://www.cups.org/sam.html#8_9 (Printing to Windows Servers).

HTH

-Alex