Subject: Re: USB audio and MIDI - what *works*?
To: Hume Smith <hclsmith@yahoo.ca>
From: Chris Wareham <chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/23/2004 09:15:49
Hume Smith wrote:
> speaking of audio troubles (grifo3000 pointed out somethng to fix: the
> audio/oss pkg *is* broken right now)
>
> I've gone through several versions of NetBSD and supposedly supported
> soundcards both PCI and ISA ... I didn't even get bootup device recognition
>
> Now I've got that hankering to play with Timidity and it's long past time I
> got the Allen hooked up to a kaputey ... So #$^@ that inboard #$^%, I'm gonna
> try USB.
>
> What USB audio and MIDI devices are known to work on NetBSD-1.6.1/i386?
>
> eg what about
> http://www.edirol.com/products/info/um1x.html
> and
> http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?prodid=4991
> or
> http://www.edirol.com/products/info/ua1x.html
>
> thanks in advance and all that =)

The umidi(4) man page lists the following three USB MIDI interfaces as
supported:

  Roland UM1
  Yamaha UX256
  Yamaha UX96

Based on that information, I bought a Yamaha UX96. It was inexpensive,
and works very well. The one problem I am having though, is reading
System Exclusive data back from MIDI devices. Unfortunately there is
very little NetBSD (or even Linux) software that I can pick apart to see
if it's something I'm doing wrong. Reading and writing of ordinary MIDI
events (note, velocity, etc) is fine.

Chris
--
chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk (work)