Subject: Re: X won't run on new 1.6.1 install
To: =?iso-8859-1?q?Lex=20Hider?= <lexxx_h@yahoo.com.au>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/18/2004 08:44:07
On Thu, 19 Feb 2004, Lex Hider wrote:

> Please cc me because I haven't been able to subscribe for
> I can't set my machine up fully. I'm mailing from a different
> machine. Sorry! [i'll also keep an eye on the web archive]
> *fixed subject*

> I'm running Netbsd 1.6.1 on i386 for the 1st time. [installed from
> iso]. Have run linux/freebsd/openbsd before so I have setup
> X on my machine a fair few times. I have a pci voodoo3 card.
> I did try running with a kernel w/out agp to see if it
> fixed it (there was a problem fixed by this on this list) but
> no luck.

XFree86 4 is a little different than XFree86 3. I have used
a Voodoo 3 under 1.6.1/XFree86 4, and it works fine...

> MTRR seems to get a warning on both logs, I don't know
> if this is significant.

I don't think so. It doesn't look to me as if the error is
actually coming from the MTRR setting attempt. [Google for
"post hoc, ergo prompter hoc". ;-)]

> xf86cfg won't start.
> and if I set up with xf86config choosing either
> voodoo3, generic
> vga or generic vesa it still won't start.

Try "XFree86 -configure", then move the configuration file thus
created to "/etc/X11/XF86Config", and try again. That should at
least get you past the errors from unrelated drivers.

Frederick