Subject: Re: cvs problems
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Lubos Vrbka <shnek@tiscali.cz>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/11/2004 20:40:27
Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> "Setting the variable manually" means using "-d". "cvs" follows the
> usual unix convention of "command line options override config file
> settings; config files setting override environment variables".
well, i've just looked again in man for cvs:

  -d CVS_root_directory
               Use  CVS_root_directory  as  the  root directory pathname of the
               master source repository.  Overrides the setting of the  CVSROOT
               environment  variable.   This  value  should  be specified as an
               absolute pathname.
CVS/Root
               Pathname to the repository ( CVSROOT ) location at the  time  of
               checkout.   This file is used instead of the CVSROOT environment
               variable if the environment variable is not set.  A warning mes-
               sage  will be issued when the contents of this file and the CVS-
               ROOT environment variable differ.  The file may  be  over-ridden
               by  the presence of the CVS_IGNORE_REMOTE_ROOT environment vari-
               able.

according to this: if i export CVSROOT it should be always used instead of the
contents of CVS/Root. if i specify -d, both CVSROOT and CVS/Root are overriden.
as i exported CVSROOT it should have been used, but it wasn't => cvs does not
behave as it should here for the first case (i haven't tested -d switch)... also
the effect CVS_IGNORE_REMOTE_ROOT variable isn't clear to me...

> Another popular trick is to link them all to the same file, e.g.
thanks for hint :)

> I guess it means that "distinfo" is present, but not correctly
> recorded in "CVS/Entries" for whatever reason. You could just delete
> it, and try a "cvs update" again (from within that directory).
do you mean deleting CVS/Entries, or the offending files? the message is
displayed not only for some distinfos, but also for some PLISTs, DESCRs,
patches, Makefiles, licenses...

> It's not clear to me, from what you've written, if you're using the
> local mirror, or not. "anoncvs.netbsd.org" is having problems today.
the answer is connected to the first part of my mail. although i had CVSROOT
set, it used value of pkgsrc/x11/CVS/Root that was anoncvs.netbsd.org. after
linking all the CVS/Root files to pkgsrc/CVS/Root, i don't see the "connection
refused" errors any more...

regards,

--
Lubos