Subject: cvs problems
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Lubos Vrbka <shnek@tiscali.cz>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/11/2004 17:55:02
hi,

i currently encountered following problems when doing
cvs up -dP -rpkgsrc2003Q4
in pkgsrc

1) i specified CVSROOT to a near mirror in prague
(CVSROOT=anoncvs@anoncvs.cz.netbsd.org:/cvsroot). however, cvs was still using
anoncvs.netbsd.org. this changed when i edited CVS/Root where anoncvs.netbsd.org
was stored.
according to cvs manpage, the variable-specified server (if the variable is set)
should be used and when it differs from the CVS/Root, there should be warning
message... but i didn't see any warning...

i thought that setting the variable manually overrides the settings in the CVS/
files... where is the problem? (i know, probably in the user - me :)

anoncvs.netbsd.org is not usable for me - it takes forewer to update (i
cancelled it after 1 hours when it did nothing); moreover i got refused
connection several times (mostly service temporarily unavailable messages and
some errors connected to "fork").

btw, when are the CVS/Root values stored? although i updated from the czech
mirror (i hope so :), all CVS/Root except the /pkgsrc/CVS/Root still contain the
anoncvs.netbsd.org (that was used for the first update performed long time ago)
instead of anoncvs.cz.netbsd.org... i know that tags can be cleared using -A,
but Root values?

2) during update i get lots of messages like
make update: move away x11/xwrits/distinfo; it is in the way
C x11/writs/distinfo
what does that mean? i've never seen this before...

3) now i got another error:
cvs server: updating x11/zenity/patches
ssh_exchange_identification: connection closed by remote host
cvs [update aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if any)
we're on wifi, so it's possible that the network connection was lost for some
time, but i think that the error message means something else (but i don't know
what...) what could it be?

now i tried to do the update once more. the amount of the make update: move
away... messages is lower (messages are persistent mostly in "licenses" and
"doc" directories), but the update again stopped as described at 3). finally,
after some more attempts i succesfully finished the update... but i'm still
curious what was wrong

thanks for your help

--
Lubos