Subject: Re: RAIDframe and bootblocks
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: Brad Volz <bradv@affectation.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/10/2004 10:47:12
On Tue, 10 Feb 2004, David Laight wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 07:31:18PM -0800, Brad Volz wrote:
> >
> > In a recent attempt to get RAIDframe working in a RAID-1 configuration, I
> > seem to have somehow fouled up my bootblocks.  The RAID device properly
> > autoconfigures, and will work fine, as long as I don't try to boot off of
> > it directly.  Basically, if I use an install floppy or cdrom and then
> > specify to look for the kernel on wd0 or wd1 then everything boots as it
> > should.
>
> At what point does it fail?
>
> Your root filesystem needs to start at the beginning of the raid volume,
> and the raid volume needs to start at the beginning of the mbr partition.

I'll verify this when I get back to the system later tonight, but the
symptoms that I recall are that a reboot results in an error like --

"cannot find operating system" or similar.

The root filsystem is at the beginning of the RAID, at least that is what
I intended.  Displaying the disklabel of the RAID device would be a way to
verify this, correct?  If so, I'll capture that output.

When you say that the raid volume needs to start at the beginning of the
mbr partition, would that be at ~ block 0?  I seem to recall using a value
of 63 there ( a similar intial offset to what was there from a sysinst
install without RAID ), so perhaps that is part of my problem as well.

thanks,

Brad