Subject: Re: Extending a Ramdisk
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Timothy A. Musson <timothy.musson@zin-tech.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/30/2003 17:18:46
At 04:43 PM 10/30/03 , Manuel Bouyer wrote:
>On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 09:43:50AM -0500, Timothy A. Musson wrote:
>> I have a 4MB ramdisk file that I want to add stuff to. I'd like to extend
>> it to 8MB. How should I go about doing so? I've used "dd" to create an 8MB
>> file, but I can't seem to copy the original ramdisk into the extended one
>> with the behavior I want. When I use "cat" or "dd" to try and copy the
>> contents, my 8MB file gets re-sized to a 4MB file.
>
>the easiest is probably to newfs the 8MB file, mount both files and copy
>from one mount point to another.

Oops, I just realized that one of my responses only went to Eric. This is
what I sent:

Well, I guess my real question was on how exactly to do the copy. Since
posting, I've tried mounting the two files and doing "cp -dpR /<src>/*
/<dst>", which seems to work. I just want to make sure that devices, sym
links, and anything else I don't know about will be copied correctly (which
is why I was trying a low-level dd or cat). Maybe what I'm asking is the
correct tool/way to do a low-level disk copy (when the src and dst are of
different size). Of course, now I wonder if something in the original will
still think it's limited to 4MB...

Thanks,
-Tim