Subject: Re: Change Resolution in NetBsd?
To: JS <oghistorian@yahoo.com>
From: Gilbert Fernandes <gilbertf@netbsd-fr.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/26/2003 19:56:31
On Sat, Oct 25, 2003 at 07:09:36AM -0700, JS wrote:

> However, I cannot log in under the default screen,
> which is still under the old resolution.  It seems to
> stall and eventually it said that login was incorrect,
> even though I typed it in correctly.  So I switched
> screens and to my surprise it was in the larger
> resolution.  I then tried to login and it worked fine.

To switch to 80x50 you need first to edit
wscons.conf and remove the comment in front of the
ibm font line. Then just edit the few lines you
want for 80x50 and leave the first console (on which
you boot and that gets kernel messages) to 80x25,
with the following entries :

#screen 0       -       vt100
screen  1       80x50   vt100
screen  2       80x50   vt100
screen  3       80x50   vt100

Then check your /etc/ttys and make sure it looks
like this on the beginning :

console "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt100   on secure
ttyE0   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt220   off secure
ttyE1   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt220   on  secure
ttyE2   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt220   on  secure
(etc.)

I leave ttyE0 as off and all consoles I move to
80x50 get to "on".

Using this config will get you 80x25 on first console,
and 80x50 on the 2 or 3 ones that follow.

I strongly advise you to install and use gnu screen,
available in pkgsrc in /usr/pkgsrc/misc/screen
to use with 80x50

--
Gilbert Fernandes