Subject: Re: Build a Kernel
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Martin Schmitz <martin-schmitz@web.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/25/2003 00:09:47
Richard Ibbotson <richard@sheflug.co.uk> writes:

>> Errr... Is this what you need ?
>> http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/kernel/#how_to_build_a_kernel
>
> Yes.  That's where I started but came unstuck when I realised that I
> didn't know what to do with config.tar.gz and and ssyssrc.tar.gz

It just doesn't matter *where* you extract them and build the kernel or
userland. If you want them in /usr (which is very common) then mkdir
/usr/src; cd /usr/src and untar there. But another important point is,
that you will run into various problems, if you try to run a -current
kernel with 1.6.1 userland. The system is usable, so you can try the new
kernel to test new features but some things won't work any longer, so if
you want to stay with your -current kernel you have to update your
userland, too.

Martin