Subject: Who can enlighten me on LFS?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org, netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Benjamin Walkenhorst <krylon@gmx.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/25/2003 01:34:04
Hello everybody,

I am just wondering what LFS (the log-structured filesystem) is and if I =
would=20
care to use it. I read a brief introduction on log-structured filesystems=
=2E I=20
am not sure if I can make sense out of it totally, since I am not that mu=
ch=20
of an expert, but I can't help wondering:
- Can anyone explain in simple terms to me, what a log-structured filesys=
tem=20
  is, what makes it different from existing filesystems (I know a bit abo=
ut
  the structure of ufs)?
- What is the state of NetBSD's implementation of LFS? Is it usable?
- What are the pro's and con's of LFS?=20
- In short - would I like using this on my local system? For my nfs-share=
s,
  for example?

I'd greatly appreciate if anyone could give me answers or point me to a u=
rl=20
where I can find them.

Thanks in advance,

kind regards,