Subject: Re: Build a Kernel
To: Richard Ibbotson <richard@sheflug.co.uk>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/24/2003 13:28:37
On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Richard Ibbotson wrote:

> To compile a kernel you should download the following from
> /pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/tar_files/src:
> config.tar.gz (Source for the 'config(8)' program)

I retrieved that file. When extracted it does not get dump all into one
directory. It should only create one main directory "src/" with a
sub-directory "src/usr.sbin" and then "src/usr.sbin/config". If your
tarball did not do that then it was made wrong. And you should get
another.

Just use the tar examples in my previous email.

Then:

cd src/usr.sbin/config
make
cd ../../../sys/arch/i386/conf # or wherever your port is
cp GENERIC MYNEWCONFIG
vi MYNEWCONFIG
./../../usr.sbin/config/config MYNEWCONFIG
cd ../compile/MYNEWCONFIG
make depend
make

   Jeremy C. Reed