Subject: Re: Build a Kernel
To: Richard Ibbotson <richard@sheflug.co.uk>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/24/2003 12:37:21
On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Richard Ibbotson wrote:

> copied config.tar.gz into /tarfiles and did 'tar xvzpf config.tar.gz'.
> It just spread the code across /tarfiles and didn't go anywhere else.
> Such as /usr where I think it may or should go ?  Tried the same with
> sys.tar.gz.  Same thing happened.

Where did you get these config.tar.gz and sys.tar.gz files?

Maybe just use syssrc.tgz from
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.6.1/source/sets/ or your favorite
mirror.

> Presumably both these source code archives are supposed to untar into
> somewhere like /usr or /sys or somewhere ?  But, where and how.

It is common to extract sys source to /sys or /usr/src/sys. But that
doesn't matter, for example, /home/jeremy/src/sys works for me too.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/