Subject: Slight Problem
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Ibbotson <richard@sheflug.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/24/2003 14:43:41
Hi

Just started building a second NetBSD box to get round several
problems with the previous attempt.

Got up to the point where I edited /etc/rcconf to add in ipfilter=YES.
Then I rebooted without putting anything into /etc/ipf.conf.  Wanted
to see the ISDN drivers starting up.

Part way though the boot process it came up with the following error
message....

/etc/rc: WARNING: /etc/ipf.conf not readable; ipfilter start aborted.
ERROR: ABORTING BOOT (sending SIGTERM to parent)!
inti: /bin/sh on /etc/rc terminated abnormally, going to single user
mode.
Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for sh:

Typed in /bin/ksh and then found that I couldn't use vi to edit the
/etc/rconf to comment out the bit about starting ipf.  Can anyone
tell me how to get into vi so that I can start the machine normally ?

Thanks

Richard