Subject: Re: Webmin and netbsd
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Gan Uesli Starling <alias@starling.us>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/22/2003 17:58:47
Michael G. Schabert wrote:
> At 8:17 AM -0300 10/22/03, Roberto Pereyra wrote:
>
>> Hi all !
>>
>> I have a question:
>>
>> Does Webmin (www.webmin.com) work well under NetBSD ?
>

> Yup, it works great :)
>
>> I ask this because I don't find webmin like pkgsrc or package.
>

> I'm guessing that that's simply because it "just works" and isn't really
> even worth taking the time to package. You just untar it, type
> "./setup.sh" and it walks you through everything. It takes care of
> updating itself to the latest version (automatically or manually when
> you tell it to), and it never conflicts with itself with other versions
> (/usr/local/webmin-#.###/ where # is version number), and never
> conflicts with anything else.
>
> HTH
> Mike

Webmin rang a Perl-ish bell, so I visited the site to confirm
my suspicion. Webmin probably 'just works' because it is written
in pure Perl. So Webmin is not so much a package as just a bunch of
way cool Perl scripts. With Perl already installed as a dependency
of many, many NetBSD packages...Webmin should be expected run
on all systems.

Read ya later,

Gan

--