Subject: CVS weirdness.
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/19/2003 04:52:51
A month or so back, I used CVS to update my -current tree, and the top-level
Makefile was left with some unresolved merges.  I thought maybe that was caused
by my aborting a CVS update in mid-step (I no longer remembe why I did that,
but I do remember thinking that it might have been a culprit).  Rather than
try to manually merge the differences (I hadn't touched the original), I simly
deleted the file and reCVSed.

Today, I found the same error in pkgsrc after a recent CVS update.  One of
the Makefiles has unresolvable merges.  (During the ssh updates, I
recall a CVS update of pkgsrc seeming to start then abort partway through...
I went with pkgsrc rather than -current because most of my machines do not
run -current and I wasn't inclined to upgrade them all wholesale...))

In neither case have I personally touched these files, to the best of my
knowledge.

What can cause CVS to do this?  Have others seen it before?  Can a server
failure (dropped connection or whatever) during an update cause this?
Could a manual client abort cause it?

Thanks in advance for any insight.