Subject: Re: Digital Cameras
To: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
From: John Clark <j1clark@ucsd.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/17/2003 18:18:21
Am Freitag, 17.10.03, um 06:40 Uhr (US/Pacific) schrieb Greg Troxel:

> 2. PtP, or picture transfer protocol, is an at least semi-standard
>    photo transfer over usb and probably firewire.  My impression is
>    that most modern cameras do this, and I'm pretty sure the Nikon
>    5700 does (a friend has one; I haven't seen this work personally
>    under BSD).  gphoto2 probably deals with this.
>
> I now always use method 4, because it doesn't require the camera to be
> on and using battery.  But PtP is attractive also because you can
> probably adjust settings, take pictures, etc. via computer control.

Actually this is closer to what I have in mind, just downloading the
images is of course important, but I do want to control the camera via
the computer. Both the Fuji S2 and Nikon D1X cameras come with
software which will allow for camera settings to be computer controled,
but also require an attendant.

While it may be that many remote controled apps are ok with the
320x240 (or whatever) video. I'm looking for high resolution images
via computer control, and of course, via NetBSD if possible.

I'll look for web cites on 'PTP'...

Thanks
John