Subject: Re: Installation problem with IDE-CMD0680R PCI IDE controller
To: marc0 <marc0@autistici.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/17/2003 22:35:01
On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 03:45:08PM +0200, marc0 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to NetBSD. I've a problem installing NetBSD, it seems it does
> not like the PCI IDE controller I use.
>
> The NetBSD version is 1.6.1 (from the iso9660 image).
>
> The machine has an intel (x86) processor, a mainboard with an intel
> 440BX chipset, with integrated IDE controller.
>
> The hard disk does not work on the integrated IDE controller, so it is
> attacched to a PCI (additional) one.
>
> I boot the installation cdrom, with the default boot option, at the
> installation menu i choose "Install NetBSD to hard disk", I choose
> "yes" at the next screen (where there is the advice to make a full
> backup and where is asked if you want to continue), then I get the
> message:
>
>   I can not find any hard disks for use by NetBSD.
>   You will be returned to the original menu.
>
> More informations follows.
>
> Please note the <<vendor 0x1095 product 0x0680 (RAID mass storage,

This is a Silicon Image 0680. Not supported in 1.6.x, but it's supported
in current.
You can either swap it for a supported controller (A promise or HTP, for
example), or install current.
You can get a current snapshot from
ftp://releng.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/current/

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>