Subject: Re: using a printer with usb -> parallel cable
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Russell McManus <russell_mcmanus@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/16/2003 12:42:54
After a cold reboot, I am able to print now.  I didn't change a thing
in the configuration, and I've tried rebooting before, too.

But I think I figured out a quirk with my HP laserjet 6L, which
doesn't seem to make a difference with windows, but does with NetBSD.

There is a power button on the front of the printer, which I normally
don't have to mess with.  When you press the power button, a little
led turns green, and stays on for a while until the printer shuts
itself off automatically a little while later.  If the led is green,
and you press the power button again, a test page comes out of the
printer.

I think that the difference this time might be that when I rebooted, I
had the led in the green state, and I did not when I rebooted
previously.  I only figured this out after monkeying with the printer
quite a bit; I've never needed to do anything with the power button
before to get the printer to work.

Sorry for the noise to the list.  I mention the above details for
future googling.

-russ