Subject: Re: mount and modem
To: None <emorfin@caracol.red.cinvestav.mx>
From: Bruce J.A. Nourish <bjan+netbsd-help@bjan.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/13/2003 22:02:36
On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 11:22:14PM -0500, emorfin@caracol.red.cinvestav.mx wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm new on netbsd, i'm trying the livecd and have some questions:
>
> how can i mount my win (fat) partition? (mount -t ??? /dev/wd0??
> /mnt/wd0a)

# mbrlabel -r wd0
# disklabel wd0 | grep MSDOS | cut -d: -f1
# mount -t msdos /dev/wd0? /mnt

The ? will be the output from the disklabel... pipe. Also, I don't
know if the LiveCD has /mnt. I presume it does, if not, you'll need
to figure something else out.

> and my ext3 partition? can i use the ext2 type?

Yes.

> is xfs or reiser supported?

No.

> is hfs and hfsplus (ppc) supported?

99% sure that it's not.

> my modem is in com3 (win) and ttyS2 on linux, where is on netbsd?

Almost certainly tty02/dty02.

> how can i config the ethernet card? (no dhcp) where are the files to edit
> them? (are ther files or just with ifconfig?)

Use ifconfig. You'll need to know the name of your ethernet card: look
though dmesg, you should see something like:

bge0 at pci0 dev 9 function 0: Broadcom BCM5702X Gigabit Ethernet
bge0: interrupting at ioapic0 pin 18 (irq 5)
bge0: ASIC BCM5703 A2, Ethernet address 00:e0:18:d2:a2:8a

The name left of ":" is your card's name. (You could also look up
"Network Interfaces" in pci(4)).

From there it should be familiar:

# ifconfig xxx0 192.168.0.5

Also, the route command is a litte different to Linux:

# route add default 192.168.0.1  	# no "gw"

> how can i start or stop daemons?
>
> Where i have to put my scripts to run at boottime?

The short answer is "in /etc/rc.local". I would get a bit more familiar
with NetBSD before fooling with rc.d.

> can livecd be installed on HD? or i have to use the install cd?

I've never used the LiveCD, but I suggest not.

> are there any troubles if i have others OS om my box? (partitions, etc)

Should not be, but as always, back important stuff up. At the risk of
annoying the home crowd, I might suggest that you do your partitioning
with Linux's cfdisk, as it's rather easier to use than our sysinst
partitioner.

> I'll keep trying the live cd, playing and discovering. Bye.

Great :-) This is the way to learn. If you have any more questions,
feel free to email me privately if you like. I'd be happy to help.
--
Bruce J.A. Nourish <bjan+public@bjan.net> http://bjan.net