Subject: Re: NetBSD-Solaris86
To: MLH <mlh@goathill.org>
From: David S. <davids@idiom.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/13/2003 11:35:29

> > So for integrating NetBSD clients into NIS+, consider your security
> > requirements.  If you think your network is sufficiently trustworthy,
> > run your servers in compatability mode.  Or just dump NIS+ for NIS/YP,
> > possibly with SSH tunneling. (It'd probably work with 'stunnel', too).
>
> NIS or NIS+ compatibility mode isn't going to fly. We are planning
> on moving to an ldap backend for NIS+ and making that available
> for our OS/X clients.  What would be the best way to access this
> from NetBSD clients - for authenticating and automounting home
> directories?

I pretty sure that 'amd' on NetBSD can read it's maps from LDAP,
though I haven't tried it.  NetBSD can't authenticate against
LDAP, or use it as a name service, as far as I know.  There are
a couple of package around attempt to provide a NIS/YP interface
to LDAP, but I haven't been able to make them work on NetBSD.
If an LDAP name service is your requirement, you'll need to re-write
NetBSD's 'nsswitch' mechanism, and possibly also import BSD auth
or PAM.  Or, you could use FreeBSD or Linux, both of which can
support an LDAP name service "out-of-the-box".

David S.