Subject: Re: D-Link DFE-530TX+ Compatibility
To: JS <oghistorian@yahoo.com>
From: Jeffrey Bedard <jefbed@e-list.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/13/2003 10:11:22

   From: JS <oghistorian@yahoo.com>

   Hi Ben and All,

   Well, the installation of NetBSD on my old Pentium
   75mhz went very well.  On first restart, she booted
   great, and I had a working unix distro in less than a
   couple of hours.  It was also one of the easiest
   installations that I have ever done!

   Anyway, I noticed that my new D-link card is not being
   recognized by the OS.  I know you state some
   configurations below, but how do I configure it?  I'm
   really new to NetBsd and unix as a whole and would
   like to get this computer on my network so I could set
   up the web server software.

To find out if your card is recognized run "dmesg | grep rtk"

It should produce the following:

rtk0 at pci0 dev 5 function 0: D-Link Systems DFE 530TX+
rtk0: interrupting at irq 11
rtk0: Ethernet address <address>
ukphy0 at rtk0 phy 7: Generic IEEE 802.3u media interface

This means that rtk0 is the name of the network interface.
Now open up /etc/rc.conf in your favorite text editor.

Add the following:

ifconfig_rtk0="10.0.0.2"  #replace this with the machine's ip
			  address.
hostname="netbsd"	  #replace this with the hostname that
			  you want for this machine.
defaultroute="10.0.0.1"   #replace this with your gateway's ip
			  address.
#optionally activate some services.
inetd=YES
sshd=YES

#--end

After editing this file, open up /etc/resolv.conf

Use the following template:

domain <your domain>
nameserver <primary nameserver>
nameserver <secondary (optional) nameserver>

The above should allow you to access the DNS server(s) of your
network.

Hope this helps.

-Jeff