Subject: Re: NetBSD-Solaris86
To: MLH <mlh@goathill.org>
From: David S. <davids@idiom.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/12/2003 15:07:56
> get Python stack handling running correctly on -current...). I'm
> looking for help in developing some more automated cluster install
> and management tools for NetBSD

'pkgsrc/sysutils/cfengine' might be useful here, at least for automated
management.

> (any experienced help looking for
> a job?).

(Feel free to drop me a line.)

> Essentially, I view NetBSD as the best non-Sun os for complimenting
> Solaris in our environment, but what can be done about integrating
> NetBSD with NIS+? Ideas appreciated.

NetBSD systems can certainly be clients of an NIS+ server run in NIS
compatibilty mode.  You'll lose some security running in that mode,
however.  NIS+ servers and clients do mutual authentication via
public-key cryptography techniques, and the iformation from the
various maps the server sends to the clients is encrypted.  NIS/YP
doesn't do any authentication - servers and clients implicitly trust
one another - and all data are transfered in clear text.  Also, if
you're using hierarchical name spaces in NIS+, they may not work in
NIS compatibility mode.  I've only used flat name spaces in NIS+.
You can, however, tunnel NIS throuh SSH (see
http://www.math.ualberta.ca/imaging/snfs/), which could ameliorate
the clear-text transfer problem.

So for integrating NetBSD clients into NIS+, consider your security
requirements.  If you think your network is sufficiently trustworthy,
run your servers in compatability mode.  Or just dump NIS+ for NIS/YP,
possibly with SSH tunneling. (It'd probably work with 'stunnel', too).

David S.