Subject: Cannot Get screenblank(1) to Work Properly...
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Dion van der Grijp <dvdgrijp@mbox3.singnet.com.sg>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/12/2003 17:35:45
Hi,

I recently installed NetBSD/i386 (1.6.1) for the first time and can't
seem to get screenblank(1) to work properly.  A Google search returns
info that would appear to suggest that the NetBSD screen saver has a
history of problems.

Does screenblank (still) suffer from known problems?  If yes, can someone
please briefly describe the symptoms so I can check them against my own?

Basically, I have screenblank enabled in /etc/rc.conf.  This does cause
the screen to blank, but it appears that only the console can trigger a
"wake up" - and it ignores any activity from other configured virtual
terminal screens.  It also doesn't seem to keep track of the inactivity
timeout interval properly: sometimes it blanks prematurely.

If screenblank can be made to work properly, I would appreciate it very
much if someone could provide some pointers on how to do that, or if the
information is already available somewhere, point me to it.  (I've looked
in all the usual places already.)

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Dion