Subject: Re: NIC shows up twice in dmesg
To: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
From: Roger Fischer <r@aileron.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/09/2003 22:24:59
At 9:59 PM -0500 10/9/03, Richard Rauch wrote:
>Re. http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-help/2003/10/08/0019.html
>
>I have a PCMCIA card that used to do something similar, except I think that
>mine would (literally) alternate between ne1 and ne2.  on a cold boot, I think
>that it came up as ne2.  Warm boot to ne1.  Warmboot again to ne2, ...
>Power off, power back on, cold boot to ne2...
>
>Because this is weird, and the driver worked (sort of) in 1.5 I
>just hacked the kernel to ignore the last test's results.  Now it
>works.  (Though I get lots of ring buffer overruns---I'm not sure
>if I had that before---it is infinitely better than how it was on
>a stock 1.6 system: Dead.)

Well, I don't have the problem of it switching.  ne2 is the one that works.
But that ring buffer overrun has piqued my interest.  I've had a
problem for a while where I'll be transferring and suddenly I'll hear
the disk drive go bzzzt and the connection will drop.  For ftp or
similar, transfer rate will go to zero for around 20 to 30 seconds,
then it'll resume until it happens again.  If it happens while
resume.  Very annoying, but I haven't been able to track it down.
Nothing appears in /var/log/messages and netstat shows nothing
unusual.  What, if you don't mind my asking, were the symptoms of
your ring buffer overruns?

- Roger