Subject: Re: NIC shows up twice in dmesg
To: Roger Fischer <r@aileron.org>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/09/2003 09:23:29
> Weird thing is that one of them (NE2000) shows up twice on bootup.
> I wasn't successful configuring the ne1 interface, but when I
> configured the ne2 interface things worked.  Is this right?  Both ne1
> and ne2 have the same mac address.  How can this be?
>
> -- lines from dmesg --
>
> ne1 at isa0 port 0x300-0x31f irq 10
> ne1: NE2000 (RTL8019) Ethernet
> ne1: Ethernet address <mac addr 1>
> ne1: 10base2, 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, auto, default [0x00 0x90] auto
>
> ne2 at isapnp0 port 0x200/32 irq 5
> ne2: NE2000 (RTL8019) Ethernet
> ne2: Ethernet address <mac addr 1>
> ne2: 10base2, 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, auto, default [0x00 0x90] auto

The 'problem' is that the ne2000 card powers up at address 0x300
and is found by the isa driver (which just accesses likely IO addresses
and decides whether it likes what it finds).

NetBSD then does (or at least the above implies it does) an ISA plug
and play enumeration and resource allocation.  This also detects the
card and assigns it address 0x200, overriding the original resources.

I'm not sure why the netbsd PnP code assigned different values (it
really should determine the values the bios assigned).

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk