Subject: Re: (HELP) the NIC get broken?
To: None <weiwuzhang@hotmail.com, netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Gilbert Fernandes <gilbertf@netbsd-fr.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/08/2003 22:45:17
On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 04:05:41PM +0800, Zhang Weiwu wrote:

> Hello. Yesterday when I was compiling ap-php4, my Thinkpad R30 notebook
> hangs there, displaying some flashing vertical color bar. After a
> powerdown-up, when it is about to finish POST it shows some flasing horizon
> bar and hangs there (I'm no kidding!) After several reboot, finally it
> successfully done POST, and began to load OS. Then I was prompted 2099 is
> not a reasonable year, and netbsd (1.6.1-RELEASE) hangs during kernel

Your experience recalls me mine. I use a X30 model and there is
something wrong with memory detected by agp0 because even if I've
been able to configure X Window to handle the 830MP on that board
(which is basically a i810 with extensions) X kept crashing quite
often, especially when using some big programs like mozilla. It looks
like the video memory detected by X is wrong and since it's shared
with the machine's memory, it led me to crashes. Perhaps X uses the
value as seen by agp0 which itself could be wrong ?

Well, I had gotten quite many crashes but on one evening things
just got worse. Mozilla crashes, putting X Window into oblivion and
obviously the whole machine. Like you, I did experience vertical
bars (mine were purple in color with some blue between them) but
the worse followed: after turning the machine off then back on,
it would no longer boot at all. Pressing the "power on" button
on the laptop made the power led light, then turn off. Nothing.
Tried various stuff, and came to conclusion that crashes was probably
related to memory being written to where it should not. Took the
machine back to store and they asked me for over 130 euro to have
a new BIOS installed and the whole mess cleaned.

Since, I don't use X anymore on this laptop. My POST was borked
beyond repair but looks you're half between fully-borked and
functional :/

--
Gilbert Fernandes