Subject: (HELP) the NIC get broken?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Zhang Weiwu <weiwuzhang@hotmail.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/08/2003 16:05:41
Hello. Yesterday when I was compiling ap-php4, my Thinkpad R30 notebook
hangs there, displaying some flashing vertical color bar. After a
powerdown-up, when it is about to finish POST it shows some flasing horizon
bar and hangs there (I'm no kidding!) After several reboot, finally it
successfully done POST, and began to load OS. Then I was prompted 2099 is
not a reasonable year, and netbsd (1.6.1-RELEASE) hangs during kernel

I worked on it several hours, reset BIOS settings, adjust time, use old
kernel and so like. Finally I get the netbsd running, except the built-in
NIC never work anymore. It is fxp0. Any operation with the NIC (including
assigning ip address) cause a "fxp0 timed out" prompt. I'm afraid the
ethernet card will never work in future.

Then I pick up my old Ed-MAX PCMCIA 10MHz ethernet card, which is
successfully detected as ne0. Assiging an ip address to it always cause a
panic (without any prompt, just hang there). That card was pretty an
expansive one, I had been using it for years when I use FreeBSD on my
ancient 360XD Thinkpad, at that time it is ed0 as far as I can remember,
but I don't find any ether drive called ed in NetBSD.

So will anyone give me some advice? What should I do now? Besides I have
data on the notebook needs backup in case the worst thing happen, but I
need the ethernet to do so.