Subject: Re: CD-RW drive problems.
To: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
From: Michal Pasternak <michal@pasternak.w.lub.pl>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/07/2003 10:35:43
Richard Rauch [Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 02:19:39AM -0500]:
> > Well, might be broken.
>
> Media or drive?
>
> I've tried about 3 disks, and the CD-RW media (never used before) that
> came with the drive.  It won't even recognize the CD-RW, and the other
> media takes a while before it finally puts up the green light---and
> although it seems to give no errors when I try to burn, the resulting
> CD-R media seems to be unaltered by the process.

Strange. Any chances your cdrecord runs in "dummy" (test) mode by default?

If not - well, then the drive seems damaged to me. I suppose, that such
behaviour (burning doesn't occur and drive doesn't report any errors while
burning) could be perfectly explained by someone with the technical
knowledge of burners I don't have.

In the past I used to have Yamaha CD-RW SCSI 16/16/4 burner. To work with
NetBSD it needed firmware upgrade - and it worked for about 6 months,
then burning got totally broken. Currently I have
cd1 at atapibus1 drive 1: <HL-DT-ST GCE-8481B, , 1.00> type 5 cdrom removable
- it's 48/48/24 IDE drive by LG, which works perfectly on NetBSD and I never
had any problems with it.

Regards,
--
Michal Pasternak :: http://pasternak.w.lub.pl