Subject: FFS CD-R
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Dan Harrison <macman20001@mac.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/05/2003 20:34:03
Hello.

It's a long story, but I need to make a NetBSD filesystem formatted
CD-R (specifically). The problem comes in the disk label, which
NetBSD requires. When I configured the image to be a vnode device, it
was given one temporarily. So, I was thinking of using that one for
the cylinders, sectors, tracks, and the multipliers between them
(sectors/cylinder, sectors/track, etc). However, I came down to
fields like "RPM" and "seek time", which a CD-R has variable, since
it isn't read at a certain speed.

So, my question is this: can I set those things to an arbitrary
number, and if I set those things to an wrong, will my CD-ROM drive
burn up? Or is there a workaround, flag, or disk type I don't know
about (I admit I didn't read through the whole disktab table looking
for an entry like that)? The application of this _requires_ a
disklabel in order to mount the CD-R; just not putting one on won't
work.

I'll be willing to tell the long story upon request in case my
approach is wrong, but it would seem like there is a simple solution
I'm missing here.

Thanks for any help.
--
Signed,