Subject: Re: freetype2 required for fontconfig
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/04/2003 17:58:03
On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 23:49:34 -0700, Roger Fischer <r@aileron.org> wrote:
> I'm trying to build ethreal which requires a bunch (I mean a bunch!) of
> stuff. One of the items it requires if fontconfig which requires
> freetype2
>
> freetype2 is installed, but for some reason, it thinks files are
> missing. Can somebody help?  I've sup'd recently so everything should be
> current.

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-pkg/2003/03/05/0007.html

I've been there.  I don't know how the package should override the
built-in freetype2, but it's surely a problem.

Make sure you don't overlook the obvious (not that I think this is the
problem):

$ pkg_info -D fontconfig
Information for fontconfig-2.1nb3:

Install notice:
==
$NetBSD: MESSAGE,v 1.1 2002/12/25 03:06:02 grant Exp $

You will need to run 'fc-cache' as root to build the X11
font cache before attempting to use applications which
use fontconfig-2.1nb3.

==

You may find (as I did) that freetype-config points to an invalid
directory.  You might try:

$ freetype-config --cflags  |sed 's!-I!!g' |xargs echo ls -d |sh
/usr/local/include                      /usr/pkg/include/freetype2
/usr/pkg/include

If you get an error, you know where to start looking....

HTH.

--jkl