Subject: Re: anyone is running console @ 132x37?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Zhang Weiwu <weiwuzhang@hotmail.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/04/2003 13:00:19
Andy Ball wrote:

>Hello Zhang,

"hello weiwu" ;-)

>  ZW> So is the -CURRENT support 132x37 now? Or did I miss
>    > something to configure?
>
>(assuming /i386)
>
>I wish I had an answer for you, hopefully someone else may.
>I mostly run on a 24cm (16" visible diagonal) display, and
>would like to set at least one virtual console to 128
>columns, 48 rows of text (10 characters per inch, 5 lines
>per inch - same resolution as the original VGA monitors).

No, you don't really know my situation: I am working on a unstretched
LCD, 80x25 is just a little small place in the center of the LCD. If I
trun on stretch, the fonts looks real bad. More then 80 chars is
reasonable if you wish to set nu in vi.

>wscons may be limited to a preset list of modes supported by
>the display card, in which case I may out of luck if the
>card happens not to have a 128x48 mode.

132x37 text mode is VESA standard, 128x48 is never heard. Nowadays very
few video cards doesn't support VESA. I used to use vidcontrol to set
132x37 on FreeBSD on the same computer (just to set VESA option in the
kernel) and that works.