Subject: Re: Using the delete key to "right-delete" chars
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Julien Gabel <jpeg@thilelli.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/01/2003 12:20:10
> When you have a key which is producing a sequence you can't work out, it
> may be because the shell is interpreting the result.  You need to quote
> it to see what's happening.  The easiest way in most shells is usually by
> pressing CTRL-V (makes the next character quoted) then press the key. For
> more complex sequences it's easy enough to pause the shell processing
> then press the key, e.g. (type in the sleep command, press return, then
> press the key):
> % sleep 60
> ^[[3~

I think another way is to use the following command:
$ od -cx
^[[3~
$

> shows me that delete produced "^[" "[" "3" "~"
> "^[" is the common display for escape.

I just noted that the corresponding control sequence is even different
under the same shell, but if you use the "vi" or "emacs" edition command
line mode.

Maybe is it possible to set the control sequence via stty(1) - like it is
possible to do for the 'erase' sequence - but i don't succeed in this way
for the moment.

--
-jg.