Subject: Re: promise ultra 66 ide controller not working
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/29/2003 17:33:52
On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, Russell McManus <russell_mcmanus@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I've (finally) gotten my powermac 9600MP up and running 1.6.  I've
> moved over a bunch of hardware goodies from my old 7300 into this new
> beast, and one of them is not working.  I wonder whether the problem
> is a toasted disk, or a hardware incompatibility, who knows.
> But when I try to mount a filesystem on the sucker, I get this
> horrible sequence of messages:
>
>   pciide0:0:0: lost interrupt
>    type: ata tc_bcount: 512 tc_skip: 0
>   pciide0:0:0: bus-master DMA error: missing interrupt, status=0x21
>   wd0: transfer error, downgrading to Ultra-DMA mode 2
>   wd0(pciide0:0:0): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 2 (Ultra/33) (using
>   DMA data transfers) wd0c: DMA error reading fsbn 0 (wd0 bn 0; cn 0 tn
>   0 sn 0), retrying pciide0:0:0: lost interrupt
>           type: ata tc_bcount: 512 tc_skip: 0

You're in need of a new doorstop, yes?  Because the drive, she is toast.
The ice disk cometh.

I think the horrible messages stem from the disk being discovered on the
bus, but then being inoperable.  If you find out differently, please tell
me, because I didn't actually toss mine out.  I just spent the afternoon
recreating it because the backup wasn't, um, ever done.  :-(

--jkl