Subject: Re: Why is X11 always "touched" for a dump?
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Bryan P <u12@terran.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/27/2003 12:39:06
On the formidable day of Sep 27, Perry E. Metzger stated:

> Bryan P <u12@terran.org> writes:
>
> > I've noticed that when using dump on a 1.6.1_STABLE system, regardless
> > of the level I dump on /usr, the X11R6 tree is always considered
> > "recently modified" - even though I _know_ it hasn't changed since the
> > last dump.  This makes me think something is recursing through that
> > tree and updating the mtime of all the files (probably a
> > daily/weekly/monthly script).
>
> Not to my knowledge. None of our standard scripts do such a thing.

What about the mtree setup - could this be involved somehow?  X11 is not
listed there.

> Have you tried using ls to see if the files have really been updated, and
> if so when?

Yeah, nothing actually looks touched, at least not by "ls -lc".  Access
times on many things aren't even overly recent.  But, every dump without
fail picks up /usr/X11R6.  I'll have to keep looking.

-bp