Subject: Re: foo
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: MLH <MLH@goathill.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/24/2003 00:14:14
On 23 Sep 2003 16:00:00 -0500, Fernando Ortiz wrote:
>> From: Michael G. Schabert [mailto:mikeride@mac.com]
>> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-help/2003/09/20/0005.html
>> >  >
>> >  > number of netBSD mailing lists as well.
>> >
>> >The only spam and virus activity I am receiving is through the
>> email address
>> >I use for this list. Is there a web site somewhere logging this
>> list that is
>> >susceptible to harvesting?
>>
>> Both of the above are possibilities for harvesting, or the worm may
>> just be coming from a subscriber(s) or former subscriber(s) to the
>> list(s).
>
> Ok, for some reason I didn't check the provided links. Yeah they look
> harvestable. Addresses are not munged in any way. Thanks for the reply Mike
> (even tho i accidently sent directly to you instead of the list). :-)

Though none of the email gets through my postfix filtering, I am
seeing thousands of different machines in my maillog. I think far
too many to be attributable to replication via a subscriber virus.
Thus my initial suspicion that it is harvesting email addresses
from archives (of some sort - whether mailist or nntp).