Subject: Re: foo
To: NetBSD <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Bruce J.A. Nourish <bjan+netbsd-help@bjan.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/23/2003 23:45:24
On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 09:31:30PM -0400, Fernando Ortiz wrote:
> I like this list a lot however I'm afraid I'm going to have to give up my
> email address with all the spam and virus I am now getting. Is there a
> chance of convincing the operators to parse and munge the email addresses in
> the archives? I think that's a big hole. I'm sure it's been discussed before
> but I can't locate it.

A couple of weeks ago, I made a fairly long post on netbsd-users
demonstrating that the NetBSD archives could and already have been used
to harvest addresses for spam, and argued that a simple, static obfuscation
scheme applied to the headers of messages before they were published in
the archives would (a) effectively prevent spam harvesting in our
archives, (b) cause no disruption in service to non-web users, (c) cause
only minor inconvenience to people (such as Mr. Rauch) who like to use
the web interface exclusively, and (d) be painless to implement on the
server.

The post was greeted by an almost complete lack of interest, and the
only interest shown was negative. If Win32.Sven provides the NetBSD
community with a sufficient kick in the pants to at least discuss the
idea, I shall say that some good has come of it.

> PS: is everyone here using [...] web interface?

Never heard of one myself. There might be web->nntp->mailinglist
gateways out there, but I don't know thier names offhand.

--
Bruce J.A. Nourish <bjan+public@bjan.net> http://bjan.net