Subject: Re: dhcp help
To: None <eniac@sdf-eu.org>
From: None <beaker@myrealbox.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/23/2003 22:34:07
> Subject: dhcp help
> From: Geiregat Jonas <eniac@sdf-eu.org>
> Date: 29 Aug 2003 16:29:11 +0200
>
> Hey I'm new to netbsd,
> I've got my network working, I can ping computers inside my network.
> I've set it up using this command
> ifconfig vr0 inet 192.168.0.3 netmask 255.255.255.0
> Now I would like to get dhcp working so I can make use of the internet
> and learn more about netbsd.
> I do dhclient vr0
> and I get no route to host network is down msg

Welcome to NetBSD!

Unless you anticipate moving around a lot, you don't _need_ to use
DHCP. Of course, if your router is stuck with DHCP enabled then I guess
you'll need it too.

I think you might be missing the default gateway stuff and perhaps the
DNS resolving as well. make sure you've got the following in /etc:

---
/etc/resolv.conf
;
; BIND data file
; Created by NetBSD sysinst on Thu Feb 20 07:13:59 1997
;
nameserver      <your DNS server IP>
;search
domain          <your local domain>

---
/etc/rc.conf
# Add local overrides below
#
hostname="your hostname"
domainname="your local domain"
defaultroute="your gateway (router's IP)"

---
/etc/ifconfig.vr0
up
192.168.0.3 netmask 255.255.255.0

---
Do the above as root and reboot, then things should work.

Cheers,
Beaker
--
[SIMPLE MACHINES] --> gopher://beaker.mdns.org
   (via proxy)